Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sundays Food For Thought


"When I was a young man in high school, one of my passions was American football. I played middle linebacker. The coach worked the team hard, teaching us the basics. We practiced until the skills became natural and automatic. During one play against our biggest rival, I had an experience that has helped me over the years. We were on defense. I knew my assigned opponent, and as the play unfolded, he moved to my right into the line of scrimmage. There was a lot of noise from players and fans. I reacted as the coach had taught us and followed my man into the line, not knowing if he had the ball. To my surprise, I felt the ball partially in my hands. I gave it a tug, but my opponent didn’t let go. As we tugged back and forth, amid all the noise I heard a voice yelling, “Packer, tackle him!” That was enough to bring me to my senses, so I dropped him on the spot. I have wondered how I heard that voice above all the other noise. I had become acquainted with the voice of the coach during the practices, and I had learned to trust it. I knew that what he taught worked."
-Elder Allan F. Packer-
I have been thinking a lot about prayer lately and how I can make my prayers more sincere. I love this story and how much it symbolizes prayer and our relationship with our Heavenly Father. Our Heavenly Father has worked us hard and has taught us the basics. Our rival is Satan, and we know how to beat him. Even with all the noise of the world. We need to remember what we have been taught. I love how Packer was acquainted to the voice of the coach and he heard him above all the noise of the crowd and he trusted it. I have been working on my relationship with my Father in Heaven and have started to begin seeing his hand in my life, and hearing his promptings. It is because I have practiced with him, and now recognize and trust what he tells me or asks me to do. I am so grateful for prayer and for the promptings I get and continue to progress and get better at my personal prayers.

No comments: