Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sundays Food For Thought


Be Still My Soul

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.


I haven't written anything about my Grandma since before she died. Lately I have heard this song everywhere and I am not sure why. Last sunday we sang it in church every meeting, Then someone did a special musical number at ward prayer and sang this song. This sunday we sang it again in sacrament meeting, and then Brianna did it as her musical moment in Relief Society.

I miss my Grandma a lot and it is hard for me to express how much I miss her. I love this song. It is one of my favorites because of the message it tells us. Brianna, Shelby, and I sang this song at my Grandma's Funeral. It was one thing that reminded me that I am not the only one feeling the way I was during that time. Even though I knew my family was sad, it also reminded me that the Lord has felt this way too, and that I could turn to the Lord and he would be by my side during this trial.

I am grateful I have heard this song so many times in the past week because I have been struggling a little bit lately with a lot of things. It is hard. Life is hard. I love the last line of the first verse " Through thorny ways, leads to a joyful end." All of our trials will end for our better. Our end of our trials will be joyful, and we will be so much stronger. I have seen it in my life and in the life of others. I am so grateful to know that during my trials, I just need to remember this simple truth and they will be so much easier. This line also reminds me of a rose or the beautiful rainbow I saw the other day after the huge rainstorm. Roses and Thorns grow together. Hard times will only make us better and stronger people.

This song is just full of Hope. The line in the second verse also catches my attention. " Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; all now mysterious shall be bright at last." and then finally, the last line of the last verse. "Be still my soul, when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last." If I remain faithful and remember God in my life, If I remember the Lord atoned for my sins, and for my pains and sorrows, I will be able to live with the Lord Forever, and I will be able to see my Grandma again and live with my family forever! I look forward to the day when I will be reunited with the Lord and with my family. Because I know that families are forever, I strive even more to do the things the Lord would have me do, and to fill my life with the things that are good. I will endure to the end, because I know that life can only get better.

No comments: